AUG
8
On Facebook there is a group Teresa has set up - please do a search, and join:
Revd Teresa's Cornish Corner

Contact us by:email - PoughillParishChurch@live.co.uk

Priest-in-charge: Rev Teresa Folland
Email: Teresa.Folland@gmail.com
'Phone 01288 352599

'Phone our Churchwardens:
Mr Tim Symonds on 01288 488503 or
Dr Richard Page on 01288 354464
Think of a world without any flowers
Lord of the boundless curves of space
Who put the scent into the roses
... by him the birds are fed
Come ye thankful people come
For the beauty of the earth

St Olaf's Church is a Grade I listed church in PoughillBudeCornwall.

The font dates to the 13th century.   The south aisle dates to the 14th and 15th centuries. The porch and west tower are dated to the 15th century.   The studded door is dated to the 16th century.

The church seats is dedicated to the Norwegian King and so-called Martyr, St Olaf (Olaf II of Norway).   At the restoration in 1928 the foundations of the original Norman church were uncovered but nothing of this remains above ground.   The pillars on the north side and south arch of the nave are of Caen stone (14th century);  those of the south side are granite (15th century).   The piscina and aumbry in the south chancel are 13th century.   

Inside the church is a wall of frescoes.   The frescoes date from about 1470, and depict St Christopher:  they were discovered in 1894 beneath the whitewash.   Such paintings were once common in churches;  the Poughill accounts record the washing-out of the figures in 1550 at the time of the Reformation.   According to the legend, St Christopher was a heathen giant who, on turning Christian, was instructed by a holy hermit to carry travellers over a dangerous ford, and who, one stormy night carried the child Jesus on his shoulder.

During the latter half of his life, Sir Goldsworthy Gurney, the surgeongentleman scientistinventor, and pioneer of applying steam power, lived in Reeds, a small house on the outskirts of the village, until his death in 1875.   The assassinated colonial administrator, Sir Henry Lovell Goldsworthy Gurney was born here in 1898

Poughill is mentioned in the Domesday Book as Pochelle.   Notable old houses in Poughill include Burshill Manor (medieval), an open hall house, and Church House, dated 1525.

The village's water-mill is located on the footpath towards Bush.   Lying at the foot of Trevalgus Hill in thick woodland, it is believed to have been a manorial mill for Trevalgus Manor.   The mill was powered by the stream which runs south towards Stratton called the Stratt.   Part of the mill building was constructed of timbers from ships wrecked along the coastline.

 

This Microportal is built on the 2day Microportals platform which provides you with 3 click access to local and global information crucial both to your personal and working life. The platform provides live local data on transport, what's on, accommodation, eating out, shopping, sport, religion and weather as well as comprehensive reference and resource sections including TV, radio, online shopping, route planning, health, education and more.

We are not responsible for the content of external internet sites to which any 2day supported sites are linked. We do not share any contact information with other providers. We use cookies to make our site work efficiently. More information on privacy and cookies.

Copyright © 2004–2020 2day Microportals, East Quither Farm, Milton Abbot, Tavistock, Devon, PL19 0PZ, UK.